One day, a Jindag (donor) from Barfung came to
Ralong monastery to offer a day’s prayer in the name of his departed family
member. However, that day the weather turned bad and the fire in the Kitchen was
not burning well. Following which, Chinyer Lama failed to serve morning
Solthuk (rice porridge) and tea in time to the monks performing ritual.
This undesirable happening displeased the Jindag who immediately
complained against him and following which an argument started to such extend
that the lamas had to interfere into the matter. The Jindag angrily told
the Lamas to choose between him and Chinyer Lama. Eventually the lamas,
seeing no alternative, expelled him from the monastery.
However, that incident had been a blessing in disguise for him. The
Chinyer Lama, on the way back to Gangtok, made up his mind to enter in
meditation in a cave at Mainam Hill above Ralong. After few years of hard
labour, he attained a stage of Drubthob or Shidha and acquired
flying power. As a sign of his achievement, he laid his footprint on a rock
there. One day, a hunter from Yangang village came across his cave and
saw him. He was quite amazed to see him and called him ‘Drubthob Karpo’
which means- ‘White Saint’.
Later, the hunter invited the Saint to his dwelling house at Yangang
and asked for his blessing. Thereafter he flew from Mainam Hill
and landed at the present monastery site. Afterwards, he built a small Shrine on
this spot where he spent few years and later entered in meditation at Taktse
hilltop. Thereafter he flew to Dromo in Tibet and then to Bhutan
where he passed away to his heavenly abode.
Later, a Hermit called ‘Karma Sherab’ came to the Shrine of
Enchey for retreat. Amazingly, he, after few years, acquired flying power
and flew back and forth between Gangtok and Pakyong making the devotees awe
struck. Thereafter, this place became more significant. The Saint spent his
later half of life in this Shrine and passed away. Thereafter the lineage
holders of Drubthob Karpo, with their profound faith, developed the old
Shrine into a full-fledged monastery in the year 1840. A.D. with
establishment of 15 monks and gave it a religious name as ‘Sang-ngag
Rabtenling’ which means- ‘Sacred Stable Place’.
During the reign of 10th Chhogyal Sidkyong Tulku (1879-1914), it was
rebuilt in the year 1908, in its present shape, which is an artistic adaptation
of Chinese Temple of Gyanak Riwo Tsenga. The monastery performs its
annual mask dance on the eve of the Sikkimese Losoong corresponding to
the month of December- January. Today it is one of the major monasteries of