Page Last updated on:4th March 2015
District
History

View Choten Monastery in a larger map
 
Choten Monastery (1946 A.D)
History:Choten (Chhoedten) Monastery was started with a small residential Lhakhang built by H.E. Trulshig Rinpoche in 1946, which is situated in the premises of Deorali Dudul Chhoedten. Later Another Venerable High Nyingmapa Lama called Dodrubchen Rinpoche came to this place in 1959 from Tibet. He gradually developed this small Lhakhang into a well-established Monastery with enrolment of 400 to 500 Monks.
Image not Available
Now it has become a busy place for fulfilling the religious needs of the devotees of Gangtok area as well as from Bhutan and other adjoining areas. It follows Dzogchenpa lineage of Nyingmapa Sect of Mahayana Buddhism. Presently the monastery has more than 500 monks. Every year on the break of Losar ,Vajra Kilaya Kawang is imparted to the Devotees a week before the Dubchoe or its ceremony starts.
Home Annual Reports Disclaimer RTI Gallery